It’s been five months since I made my big announcement – that I have dreams of running Boston.
In that time, I’ve:
- Won my age group at the New Year’s Day 5K (23:28)
- PR’d the half distance at the Princess Half Marathon (1:47)
- Completed two marathons, Shamrock (3:58) and Utah Valley (4:16)
In this time, I’ve also learned a lot – like, running a marathon is hard. Okay, well, I already knew that – but I learned that when you want something bad enough, you’re willing to put in the work. Although the two 26.2 distance races of 2012 haven’t gone ideally, they have proved their worth as benchmarks in the continuing quest to improvement.
For those of you that have run a marathon before, you know what I am saying when I say that the thoughts that pop into your mind immediately after crossing the finish line are usually the opposite of what you should be thinking - in some form. For example, most think, “NEVER AGAIN!” But for me, this time I seriously pondered my 2012 marathon future – was that my last 26.2 of the year?
Things to consider:
- Qualification for Boston 2014 begins September 22, 2012 – though not explicitly stated, that would seem to me that a 2013 go would have to be before that. Considering weekend races, that would mean the ‘last go’ for 2013 would have to be the weekend of September 15-16.
- A mid-September race would mean MAX 14 weeks between this week and race week.
- Training for a September race of course means SUMMER TRAINING (for better or for worse).
With these thoughts in mind, I have seriously considered registering to train/run with the local track club. But if I do that, I want / need to have a goal race.
And oh, these are just some of the many thoughts I have swirling around my brain…
BECAUSE – ON THE FLIPSIDE.…
- Perhaps I should look at a late Fall marathon to qualify for 2014 instead?
- Maybe Boston 2014 would be a better “place” for me? In April 2014, I’ll be turning 30 years old. That could be a nice birthday present, right? But then will I regret not giving 2013 a go?
SO MANY QUESTIONS.
If you’re still with me on this (congratulations, seriously) I feel like there are four distinct options…
Option A: September Marathon
This option would require me to start training like, yesterday – as well as choose a suitable race.
- PROS: With the right training and avoidance of injuries, Boston 2013 could be a possibility.
- CONS: Very little recovery time, training through the summer, have to make a lot of decisions really fast.
Option B: Late Fall Marathon
This option would allow some recovery time from this past marathon, but would mean “good-bye” to a 2013 chance.
- PROS: Recovery time, more time to find a race, possibly find someone in training team to ‘run race with.’
- CONS: No 2013 chance, training through summer, fall can get very busy (school, work, scheduling conflicts – we’re going to Disney in November for Wine and Dine)
Option C: WDW Marathon as a BQ Race.
This option means my (already registered for) WDW Marathon would be a competitive race, as opposed to it being a fun run.
- PROS: I am already registered, trip already planned, I could train for this with the group, it’s flat.
- CONS: This would be for 2014, I might regret not ‘enjoying’ this race.
Option D: Other
Please leave a comment or use my fun lil poll I’ve created below!