In the summer of 2010, I made a conscious decision to be more active; yes, it was really that vague. Ya see, back then, I couldn’t jog for three minutes without gasping for air…
Then, Couch to 5K came into my life.
I downloaded the app, laced up my New Balances and started at it...it definitely wasn’t easy, but after a week or two, I found that the hardest part was just taking that step. Alternating between walking, jogging and eventually running, I could feel the difference, and even experienced that runner’s high I had heard about! Oh, and it didn’t hurt that I lost about 20 lbs in the process!
So, I finished c25k and my interest in different running ‘subjects’ expanded – to things like barefoot running, vibram five fingers and more! I was hooked with my new active lifestyle, ran my first 5k and then started looking beyond…to yoga; Bikram to be more specific!
I fell in love with Bikram so much that I set out & completed the 30 Day Challenge – I even blogged every class!
Moving on (literally!) later in the year, we relocated from Orlando, Florida to Northern VA. I found some good running trails, a new yoga studio and all that (even ran two races!) – but it wasn’t two months later that we moved again; this time, to Charlottesville! There, I trained for my first marathon (Richmond!) and then joined Team in Training to train for my second 26.2 – The Shamrock Marathon!
Here are some of my PRs:
8K – 40:25 (Busch Gardens Christmastown Dash)
- Walt Disney World Marathon – 4:59:49 – January 13 – my recap here.
- Neverland Family Fun Run 5K - (untimed) – January 19 – my recap here.
- Tinkerbell Half Marathon – January 20 – my recap here.
- Virginia is for Lovers 14K – Feb 9 – my recap here.
- Colonial Half Marathon – Feb 24 – my recap here.
- Cherry Blossom 10 Miler – April 7 (my birthday!) – my recap here.
- Blue Ridge 1/2 Marathon - April 21- my recap here.
- Nike Women’s Half Marathon – April 28 – my recap here.
- The San Francisco Marathon - June 16
- Dumbo Double Dare (Disneyland 10K + Disneyland Half Marathon) – August 30 – Sept 1