Disclaimer: I received a free entry to the Honolulu Marathon as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
Growing up, I was lucky – luckier than I realized. As an Air Force brat growing up near Tokyo, Japan, summer vacations meant a trip to the “States,” and that trip was always something fun to look forward to. Between visiting relatives in Virginia and Washington State, experiencing the magic of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World, and even an extended layover in Minneapolis-St. Paul for a trip to the Mall of America, there was one place that we ALWAYS stopped by, whether it was at the start or end of our trip, and that was to paradise on Earth – Honolulu, Hawaii!
<– One of my first visit to Hawaii! I’m the baby 😉
You see, my dad grew up in Hawaii, so our annual visit meant sun, sand, and visiting family. We always had a blast – whether it was visiting the beach, riding the monorail at the Pearl Ridge Mall, or just hanging out together.
Those visits continued well into my teenage years, but after I went off to college, then started working, it’d be a while ’til we would reunite as ‘ohana again – but in 2011, that chance came again when we all traveled to the islands for a tropical Thanksgiving, even staying at Disney’s Aulani Resort and again in Summer 2012. (“Hawaii” archives here). There’s just something about Hawaii that casts a spell on you!
So, when the opportunity came about to travel to the land of Aloha again, this time, for the world-famous Honolulu Marathon, I jumped at the chance!
The last time I was in Hawaii, I got to run a few miles —>
Combining my love of the islands with the magic of running a marathon? Heck yes!
BibRave has been super generous to allow me to share the fun with all of you with a sweet 20 percent off code: KRISPRO – and registration is open now!
Still need convincing…? Well, here are my Top 5 reasons to run this year’s Honolulu Marathon:
5. This race has 5 reviews on BibRave – with 5 stars, and 100% would recommend this race!
4. It’s in early December. Now, I’d venture to say that most people would jump at the chance of a warm-weather run around that time – and hello, ice-bath in the Pacific Ocean post-race? Sounds pretty darn sweet to me!
3. Post-race FOOD. Okay, this one is serious. After years of visiting Hawaii, I can tell you – there’s no place better to eat!! From Asian food (Japanese, Chinese, Thai, fusion) to uniquely Hawaiian yummies (spam musubi and shave ice, anyone?) I can’t think of a better place to celebrate 26.2 miles!
2. Never thought YOU could run a marathon? Well, did you know that the Honolulu Marathon is the only world class marathon which allows ALL participants to finish? There is no cut-off time! Definitely a sweet perk!!
1. Bibrave will be there. ‘Cos really, if the Bibrave team is there, you know it’s gonna be good.
Already packing your bags? I thought you might! And guess what…if you read this far, I think you deserve a little MAHALO from me…email me khiguchi at gmail dot com if you are feeling serious about this fabulous event and I just might have a little extra ALOHA up my sleeve to make the registration fee even sunnier…